September 8, 2016 | This week we are participating in National Suicide Prevention Week along with many other organizations and individuals. Suicide prevention is very crucial and saves many lives across America year after year.
Here are some important facts about suicide in America, according to the CDC:
- Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US for all ages.
- Every day, approximately 105 Americans die by suicide.
- There is one death by suicide in the US every 13 minutes.
- Depression affects 20-25% of Americans ages 18+ in a given year.
- Suicide takes the lives of over 38,000 Americans every year.
- The highest suicide rates in the US are among Whites, American Indians and Alaska Natives.
- Only half of all Americans experiencing an episode of major depression receive treatment.
- 80% -90% of people that seek treatment for depression are treated successfully using therapy and/or medication.
- An estimated quarter million people each year become suicide survivors.
- There is one suicide for every estimated 25 suicide attempts.
- There is one suicide for every estimated 4 suicide attempts in the elderly.
According to the Department Of Veteran Affairs, about 20 veterans commit suicide per day here in America. At Northwest Health we offer a VA choice program which allows veterans to seek help with their health insurance locally. If any veterans in our area need to set up an appointment with our behavioral health clinic they may do so by calling 816-232-4417.
If you or someone you know is dealing with thoughts of suicide or depression then you should seek the following:
- Chat online with a professional, click here.
- Send a text on your mobile phone, click here.
- Call the hotline number, 888-279-8188.
- If you are a local resident of St. Joseph, Missouri or the surrounding areas, you can call our behavioral health clinic at (816) 232-4417.
- VA Choice Program for veterans
Our friends at “Save” (Suicide Awareness Voices Of Education) have many resources available 24/7. You can visit their website here for more information and ways to help someone who might be suicidal.
As a participation, Northwest Health is providing FREE depression screenings at the front desk of our Behavioral Health Clinic located at our FMA building at 2303 Village Dr. in St. Joseph, Missouri. The depression screening is designed to evaluate whether or not someone should seek professional help. Anyone who might be dealing with thoughts of depression may come see us this week. We also provide behavioral health services all throughout the year. Please, get a hold of us and seek guidance! Let’s stop suicide together.
Thank you for reading the blog and have a great rest of your day!