July 22, 2020
6 Ways to Take Care of Your Teeth During COVID-19
COVID-19 has the world changing day by day. These changes effect dental clinics across our nation greatly.
According to the CDC, the virus is spread easily by droplets. This means someone could cough in the grocery store at 9 am and the virus sit there for someone to walk through and breathe in at 10 am. The CDC is also encouraging everyone to wear a mask when out in public and to maintain a 6 ft distance from one another. This will help to stop the spread of the virus.
How does this effect you going to the dentist?
Well, if you can think back to the last time you sat in the dentist chair, what do you remember? You might remember that bright light they shine in your face, or the dental staff who are trying to make you feel comfortable and calm your nerves down, or better yet you might remember when they spray water in your mouth during a cleaning and you can see droplets shooting out of your mouth!
This makes going to the dentist a little difficult. While dental clinics have started to re-open and take patients in using new air filtration systems, there could still be a delay on when you get a scheduled appointment.
So, if you find yourself waiting to get into your local dentist office, you can follow these 6 tips provided by our very own, Dr. Durington (located at the Northwest Family Dental Clinic in St. Joseph, MO)
- Limit soda, juice, and any sugary drinks to meal time
- Stick to drinking water in between meals
- Brush and floss 2x a day, count the ABC’s 3x while brushing or set a timer on your phone for 3 minutes
- Rinse with warm salt water if you are experiencing gum pain
- Pick healthier, less sugary snack options like cheese and nuts
- If you have infants, try wiping their teeth with a warm wash cloth after feeding them
These tips might not cure your immediate dental needs, but they can be a great preventative measure to avoid having any dental emergencies during COVID-19.
As always, have a wonderful day and be sure to practice safe social distancing during this time!
- Corey Myers | Digital Marketing Manager